Thursday, November 1, 2012

Doing Inventory




When I walked into my kitchen this morning, I found my Vince sitting next to his Grandpa running an inventory of his Trick-or-Treat stash. 

And the sun wasn't even up yet.

Three Musketeers, Kit-Kats, Snickers, Baby-Ruths (love!), Twix bars, M&M's, all lined up side by side in their own little piles.



"Bobo (Grandpa), get a paper and pencil so we can write this down."  Vince demanded of his #1 staff accountant.

"Ok, hang on."  I don't think I have ever heard Bobo utter the word "no" to his grandsons.  Not even before his first cup of morning coffee.  He was back in a flash, ready for dictation.

"One, two, three, four, five, six.  Six Kit-Kats.  Did you get that, Bobo?  Six Kit-Kats."

"Yeah, I got it, boss."

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve M&M's.  That's A LOT of M&M's!  Did you get that, Bobo?"

"I got it.  Twelve M&M's."

"One, two, three…"



Even after the costume preparation; the pictures; the parades; the parties complete with cookie decorating, web and mummy making crafts, skull-coloring, and cupcakes.  Even after the running door-to-door collecting treats, and the complete euphoria of running into classmates IN THE DARK, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, ON A SCHOOL NIGHT!!!  Even after dumping mountains of candy on the living room floor and negotiating the last trade of the night, while sneaking one last piece when mommy wasn't looking.  Even after at least a small portion of the damage has been brushed, flossed and rinsed away and they were finally fast asleep. 


Even after all of that.  There was still some Halloween magic to be had!

Happy November!



If you have a few moments, my favorite Halloween story of all time by one of my favorite writers of all time David Sedaris:


My little Red Arrow and his brother Hawkeye pre-parade...
...some of us choose our costumes based exclusively on weaponry.

No comments:

Post a Comment