Thursday, June 6, 2013

Walking With Them



“Only 5 ½ more days of second grade!”


Like most children, my seven-year olds are counting the days until school is out.  I guess I am, too.  Sort of.



“Next year is third grade,” Fun Mom tells me like it’s some kind of revelation.  “You know what that means?  That means we’ll be half-way through elementary school! Next year is the half-way mark.”  Her tone is a little melancholy.


Oh, shit.  I never thought of it that way.


“Don’t say that.  I can’t think about that right now,” was all I could say in return.  The thought was a little overwhelming.



My family moved into our little slice of suburbia when they boys were not quite three years old for several reasons, the majority of which of or pertaining to raising our sons.


“It really is a terrific neighborhood.  It’s perfect for raising kids.  I’ll take you over to the park and elementary school after we’re done looking at the house.  You can even walk your kids to school!”  Our real estate agent’s words are still fresh in my mind, five years later.

I remember I had this image of Vince, Nick, Stitch and I walking to school together every morning…then life crept in. 



When Kindergarten started, I was in the throws of a demanding, full-time client that had me traveling like crazy; then there were rainy mornings; then there was more work; or dentist appointments; or we were finishing up homework; or just running late.  I found myself in the car, in the driveway, with a scowl on my face on far more mornings than I’d like to admit. 


Then, in an instant, there were just 5 ½ more days of second grade.   




These past couple weeks, I have made a point of walking whenever we could.  20 minutes of my day.  10 minutes there and 10 minutes back.  One or both of my sons usually hold my hand part of the way.  Nothing is better than the feeling of one of those hands in mine.  Nothing.


Sometimes we talk about what’s going on at school that day.  Sometimes we talk about summer.  And sometimes:


“Mommy, can you hold my backpack so I can kick him!?!” 


That happens.




Only 5 ½ more days of second grade... and I'm hanging on to every step. 


We've been sneaking in some Lego time, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment